NEW WALK ‘APP’ CAN MAKE YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD AND NATIONAL CITY MORE WALKABLE
WalkSanDiego is developing a Regional Walk Scorecard to rate walkability in the region’s 18 cities and individual neighborhoods. Field work for the project is the most important component and will require hundreds of volunteers around the region to input data describing what it’s like to walk in their neighborhood. Data collected from the volunteers will create a map of projects for future funding.
WalkSanDiego has created a smart phone WALK APP for volunteers to use to collect data. The time required for volunteers can be 30 minutes or several hours as they desire. Manual data entry forms will be available for volunteers who don’t have a smart phone. WalkSanDiego invites you to help launch the phone app and score your neighborhood’s walkability. Your efforts will contribute to a regional Walk Scorecard rating each community’s walkability and a map of improvements for future funding.
Register today to volunteer. No experience required. All ages welcome.
- Volunteer to walk 1-2 hours in September and input data.
- Become a Volunteer Lead to help recruit and organize volunteers in your neighborhood or community.
- Sign up at walksandiego.org/get-involved/volunteer
- Call 619-544-9255 for more information.
ABOUT THE APP:
Scores provided by individuals will contribute to aggregate scores for each community in the region. With the app you can:
- Select streets from a map to walk and survey
- Rate the safety, aesthetics and features of walking in your neighborhood
- Challenge your friends to participate