Apply to be a National City Police Officer
Application: Apply using the City of National City’s online application below.
If the Recruit Application is unavailable, you can enroll in the “Job Interested Notification” system by clicking in the link below. You will then receive an email when the position becomes available.
|LATERAL OFFICER/ACADEMY GRADUATE POLICE OFFICER POSITIONS:|
|The City continuously accepts applications from current police officers and police academy graduates for our Lateral Police Officer position. Lateral Police Officer interviews are held periodically throughout the year. Lateral applicants DO NOT have to take a written or PAT.|
Police Recruit: $4,316.89 – $5,512.74 per month ($24.91 – $31.80 per hour)
Police Officer: $6,474.91 – $8,268.69 per month ($37.36 – $47.70 per hour)
$77,698.92 – $99,224.32 per year
Medical/Dental: Cafeteria style plan
Retirement: 2.7% @ 57- PERS Tier 3 (CalPERS employee contribution: 9%)
457 Deferred Compensation Plan
Current Peace Officer candidates hired as Lateral Officers are eligible for CalPERS Tier 2 Retirement Plan (3% @ 55)
4/10 schedule for patrol (weekends off half the year)
Shift Differential: Swing Shift: 2%; Graveyard: 4%
Intermediate POST/Advanced POST (2%/7%)
Bilingual Pay 4%
Sworn Officers that are residents of National City receive $200 a month.
Annual uniform allowance of $900 ($450 upon hire)
1-5 years of service: 24 Days
5-15 years of service: 29 Days
15+ years of service: 34 Days
Lateral hires may accrue vacation and holiday leave with the City based on previous public safety employment.
96 hours per year
Retiree Health Benefit:
$20 per each year of service (minimum 20 years of service)
POLICE FACILITY FEATURES:
- On-site gym
- Men’s/Women’s Locker Rooms
- 911 Dispatch Center
- Indoor Firing Range
- Temporary Holding Facility
Guaranteed Salary Increase Explanation
The National City Police Officer’s Association current contract with the City guarantees National City Police Officers will be among one of the top paid agencies in San Diego County until the contract expires on December 31, 2021. In accordance with the contract, a Police Officer’s salary is currently ranked between second and third.
Police Officer Eligibility Requirements
Under general supervision to perform a variety of police duties in the prevention of crime and enforcement of law and order. We invite you to apply if you meet the following requirements:
- Successful completion within previous three (3) year period of Basic Police Academy which meets all the requirements of the California Commission on Police Standards & Training (POST); or
- Employment within the last 12 months in position requiring California Basic POST Certificate; or
- Current enrollment in Basic POST Academy and have successfully completed the first half (1/2) of a POST recognized academy at the time of application.
- Must meet all other California POST requirements. Academy graduates must attach a copy of Academy Certificate with application. Computer literacy is desirable. (Details of the essential duties are on file in the Human Resources Department.)
Police Recruit Duties
As a non-safety temporary employee, will attend a Basic Police Academy which meets all training requirements of the California Penal Code and the California Commission on Police Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.), to obtain a comprehensive overview of the criminal justice system and specialized training in various laws, law enforcement techniques, practices and procedures, and first aid and to develop and demonstrate physical fitness and effective usage of firearms. Participates in orientation and in-house training programs under direct supervision to develop an awareness of the duties, activities, and responsibilities of a police officer. Advancement to Police Officer contingent on successful completion of all training requirements.
Police Recruit Eligibility Requirements
- Education and Experience – Graduation from high school or possession of 12th grade G.E.D. certificate.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities – Ability to: observe, learn, understand and interpret various laws, police practices and procedures; analyze problems and have the potential to rationally and calmly take appropriate action in emergency and stressful situations; undergo strenuous physical conditioning; prepare accurate and grammatically correct written reports in English; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with persons of widely varying socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds; and understand and carry-out oral and written directions.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or a permanent resident alien who is eligible and has applied for citizenship. Must be at least 20-1/2 years of age at time of appointment. Must possess a valid California Driver’s License at time of appointment. Must meet all requirements for admission to Basic Police Academy recognized by California Commission on Police Officer Standards and Training.
If you have further questions about the hiring process, please contact anyone in the Recruiting/Background Division Monday-Thursday, 6:00 AM – 4:00 PM:
Detective G. Gonzales / Tel. 619-336-4357 / NCPDRecruiting@nationalcityca.gov
Email is checked seven days a week and it’s the fastest way to contact Detective Camilo Gutierrez.