Important Update:


COVID-19       Update Click here for links to the latest information.


Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Q: Should I call the police if I see something suspicious or unusual in my neighborhood?

A: Yes. The National City Police Department relies on community involvement and we encourage citizens to report criminal activity or problems. The likelihood of criminals being caught increases when witnesses see something suspicious and immediately call the police.

Q: At what hour can I complain about a loud party or noise?

A: Noise violations can occur at any hour and may include noise sources such as loud parties, leaf blowers, construction etc. Commercial areas generally have less restrictive noise regulations. If you have a concern, please call and request an officer to inquire into the problem.

Q: Where do I report a noise violation?

A: Call the police department’s non-emergency line at 619-336-4411.

Q: What can I do about a neighboring house where I believe occupancy numbers are more than is safe or legal?

A: Contact the Code Enforcement Coordinator at 619-336-4317 or 619-336-4213.

Records Related

Q: What time does the Police Records Department open?

A: The National City Police Department Records Division is open Monday thru Friday from 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Requests for police records may be conducted Tuesday thru Thursday from 1:00pm – 4:00pm.

Q: How can I file a police report?

A: To report an emergency, dial 911. Non-emergency calls should be reported by calling 619-336-4411. Our customers may file a non-emergency police report in the main lobby of the police department. Note: If you dial 911 from a cell phone, your call will be transferred to the California Highway Patrol.

Q: How can I purchase a copy of my police report?

A: Requests for police reports may be processed two ways: (1) Fill out an application in the main lobby of the police department; the application will require known information such as date, case number, location, etc. There is a processing fee of of $1.00 for the first page and 15 cents for each additional page of the same report. Due to the high volume of requests, there is a ten day waiting period at which time the report may be mailed to you upon request, or you may come during business hours to pick it up. (2) You may mail a request to our Records Division; the request must include enough information for personnel to locate the report, such as case number, name, date, time, location, etc. Regardless, the processing fee will apply at the time of the request. The processing fee is waived in cases where you are the victim of domestic violence or identity theft.

In addition, copies of Traffic Collision Reports can be purchased here.

Traffic Related

Q: What can I do about traffic safety problems in my neighborhood?

A: Your input will make a difference. Please contact the National City Police Department’s Traffic Division (619-336-4420) for recommendations.

Q: How do I report a vehicle that has been abandoned?

A: Write down a description of the vehicle, the license plate number and the address where it is parked. Call our non-emergency number 619-336-4411 with the information. Further investigation will determine whether the vehicle is illegally parked, stolen, or another condition is present allowing the immediate or subsequent removal of the vehicle.

Q: How do I get a ticket signed off?

A: If you have received a “fix it” ticket from the National City Police Department, it can be signed off at our department by an officer. Please have your ticket with you, photo ID, and your repaired vehicle.

Q: What are the hours of the Traffic Division

A: The Traffic Division is open Monday through Thursday from 700 am through 430 pm. 

Q: Parking complaints on city streets?

A: Call 619-336-4442.

Q: Parking complaints on private property?

A: Call 619-336-4343.


Q: How do I commend an employee for a job well done or exceptional service?

A: You have several options available to report a job well done by an employee of the department. Citizens can mail a letter to the police department to the attention of Chief of Police Manuel Rodriguez at 1200 National City Blvd., National City CA 91950, call the on-duty watch commander during normal business hours at (619) 336-4400, or call the Internal Affairs Division Sergeant at 619-336-4481.

Q: How do I file a complaint?

A: You have several options available to file a complaint against an employee of the department. Citizens can report a complaint to the on-duty supervisor at any time day or night by coming to the National City Police Station and requesting to speak with a supervisor, call the main business line at (619) 336-4400 and ask to speak with a supervisor, or contact our Internal Affairs Division Sergeant at 619-336-4481. After hours, the on-duty supervisor can be reached through the dispatch center at (619) 336-4411.

New Wireless Telephone Laws – Effective July 1, 2008

The California Highway Patrol (CHP) has recently released a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) regarding two new laws that address the use of wireless telephones while driving. Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with these new laws.

Q: When do the new wireless telephone laws take effect?

A: A: The new laws take effect July 1, 2008.

Q: What is the difference between the two laws?

A: The first law prohibits all drivers from using a handheld wireless telephone while operating a motor vehicle unless the telephone is configured to allow hands-free operation (Vehicle Code (VC) 23123). The second law prohibits drivers under the age of 18 to use a wireless telephone or hands-free device while operating a motor vehicle (VC 23124).

Q: What if I need to use my telephone during an emergency and I do not have a hands- free device?

A: The law allows a driver to use a wireless telephone to make emergency calls to a law enforcement agency, a medical provider or the fire department.

Q: What are the fines if I’m convicted?

A: According to the Uniform Bail and Penalty Schedule, with the addition of penalty assessments, a first offense is $76 and a second offense is $190.

Q: Will I receive a point on my driver’s license if I’m convicted for a violation of the wireless telephone law?

A: The violation will appear on your driving record; however, DMV will not assign a violation point.

Q: Will the conviction appear on my driving record?

A: Yes, but the violation point will not be added.

Q: Will there be a grace period when motorists will only get a warning?

A: There is no grace period.

Q: Are passengers affected by this law?

A: This law applies only to the driver of the vehicle.

Q: Do these laws apply to out-of-state drivers whose home states do not have such laws?

A: Yes

Q: Can I be pulled over by a law enforcement officer for using my handheld wireless telephone?

A: YES. A law enforcement officer can pull you over just for this infraction.

Q: What if my phone has a push-to-talk feature, can I use that?

A: No. The law does provide an exception for those operating a commercial motor truck or truck tractor (excluding pickups), implements of husbandry, farm vehicle or tow truck, to use a two-way radio operated by a “push-to-talk” feature.

Q: What other exceptions are there?

A: Operators of an authorized emergency vehicle during the course of employment are exempt as are those motorists operating a vehicle on private property.

Q: Does the new “hands-free” law prohibit you from dialing a wireless telephone while driving or just talking on it?

A: The new law does not prohibit dialing, but drivers are strongly urged not to dial while driving.

Q: Will it be legal to use a Blue Tooth or other earpiece?

A: Yes, however you cannot have BOTH ears covered.

Q: Does the new hands-free law allow you to use the speaker phone function of your wireless telephone while driving?

A: Yes.

Q: Does the new “hands-free” law allow drivers 18 and over to text page while driving?

A: The law does not specifically prohibit that, but an officer can pull over and issue a citation to a driver of any age if, in the officer’s opinion, the driver was distracted and not operating the vehicle safely. Text paging while driving is unsafe and is strongly discouraged.

Q: Am I allowed to use my wireless telephone hands free?

A: Drivers under the age of 18 may not use a wireless telephone, pager, laptop or any other electronic communication or mobile services device to speak or text while driving in any manner, even hands free, EXCEPT to call police, fire or medical authorities. (VC 23124).

Q: Why is the law stricter for provisional drivers?

A: Statistics show that teen drivers are more likely than experienced drivers to be involved in crashes because they lack driving experience and take greater risks. Teen drivers are vulnerable to driving distractions such as talking with passengers, eating or drinking, and talking or texting on wireless phones, all which increase the chance of getting involved in serious vehicle crashes.

Q: Can my parents give me permission to allow me to use my wireless telephone while driving?

A: NO. The only exception is an emergency situation that requires you to call a law enforcement agency, a health care provider or the fire department.

Q: Does the law apply to me if I’m an emancipated minor?

A: Yes. The restriction applies to all licensed drivers who are under the age of 18.

Q: If I have my parent(s) or someone age 25 years or older in the car with me, may I use my wireless telephone while driving?

A: NO. You may only use your wireless telephone in an emergency situation.

Q: Will the restriction appear on my provisional license?

A: No

Q: May I use the hands-free feature while driving if my car has the feature built in?

A: NO. The law prohibits anyone under the age of 18 from using any type of wireless device while driving, except in an emergency situation.

Q: Can a law enforcement officer stop me for using my hands-free device while driving?

A: This is considered a SECONDARY violation (drivers under 18), meaning that a law enforcement officer may cite you for using a hands-free wireless phone if you were pulled over for another violation. Using a handheld wireless telephone while driving is a PRIMARY violation meaning you can be stopped and cited.