Important Update:


COVID-19       Update Click here for links to the latest information.


Trash & Recycling

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

In the City of National City, residential and commercial solid waste collection and recycling services are performed under contract to residents and businesses by EDCO Disposal.  For detailed information on solid waste collection services and the types of recyclable materials collected, please visit EDCO's National City website at

Rates for all services are negotiated by the City Council.  For Rate Information see: National City Rate Schedule .




Edco Spring 2019 Environmental Times 1 (PDF)

Edco Spring 2019 Environmental Times 2 (PDF)

Edco Senior Discount Information  (PDF)



 Please see attached newsletter for useful information on how to reduce food waste. 



For Residential Bulky Item Pickup contact EDCO to schedule pickup of large items generated from within your home (such as mattresses, couches, refrigerators, etc.). 



A business (includes public entities) that generates four cubic yards or more of commercial solid waste per week or is a multifamily residential dwelling of five units or more shall arrange for recycling services as set forth by the statewide mandatory commercial recycling program. 

Commercial recycling programs available through EDCO waste include:  Mixed Paper, Beverage Containers, Metals, Old Corrugated Cardboard and Green Waste.  For more information on Business Commercial Recycling Requirements, please contact EDCO for services or visit the CalRecycle  for more information on AB341 legislation.



In October of 2014 California adopted Assembly Bill 1826, requiring all businesses to recycle their organic waste beginning April 1, 2016. The phase-in of this mandate helps California to achieve its overall waste diversion (75% by 2020) and greenhouse gas emission reduction goals.

Organic Waste = food waste, green waste, landscape and pruning waste, non-hazardous wood waste.

For more information on AB1826 legislation and requirements, including implementation dates and thresholds, visit CalRecycle or contact EDCO for collection services.



Currently in the San Diego region there is adequate capacity for recycling landscape and clean wood waste related organics; However, the capacity needed to meet the demand for diverting all food waste is still under development.  Thus, EDCO will be working closely with their food waste generating customers through the following tiered priority approach:

1.  Prevention of Food Waste

  • First and foremost this helps our customers improve their bottom line

2.  Donation of Edible Food

  • Nearly one in seven San Diego residents (approximately 500,000 people annually) do not know where their next meal is coming from.  Regionally, almost 500,000 tons of food waste is sent to the landfill - EDCO wants to support our customers in setting up systems to donate food to help end hunger throughout San Diego County.

3.  Collection of non-edible food

  • After all possible means of food waste prevention and donation of edible food have been pursued, remaining food waste materials will be collected for recycling.

Helpful resources for taking responsible steps in reducing food waste include:

EPA's Sustainable Food Management

EPA's San Diego Area Food Recovery Links and Resources 2017

More information on AB 1826 can be found by visiting CalRecycle.       



Household Hazardous Waste is unused or leftover portions of products containing hazardous chemicals used around your household including your garden and vehicles for example.   To reduce the amount of Household Hazardous Waste your generate, please buy oily what you need and use it entirely.  Choose less toxic alternatives and recyclables.  Products labeled "Caution," "Warning," "Danger," "Poison," "Toxic," "Flammable," or "Corrosive" are considered hazardous. 

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) includes but is not limited to items:

 Paints  Thinners  Pool Chemicals  Used Motor Oil*
 Pesticides  Antifreeze  Degreasers  Oil Filters
 Fertilizers  Adhesives  Sharps (needles)  Electronics
 Cooking Oil  Photo chemicals    

 * Motor oil can be recycled thereby conserving a natural resource.  When motor oil is poured into the ground, it pollutes our environment.  Take used motor oil to a State Certified Used Oil Collection Center for recycling to protect the environment and conserve a valuable resource.  For more information on Used Motor Oil, Oil Filter Recycling, and State Certified Used Oil Collection Center locations, visit CalRecycle.

Motor Oil Recycling Tips:

  • When draining used motor oil, use a clean plastic container with a tight lid.
  • Reuse your used motor oil container and store it safely, away from children and pets.
  • Don't mix used motor oil with chemicals, gasoline, water, or other substances.
  • Use a resizable 5-gallon or smaller size container.
  • Call the Collection Center to confirm the amount of oil accepted.

Universal Waste:

For more information for Per California State Law effective February 8, 2006, Universal Waste items cannot be disposed of in your trash or recycling bin. Universal waste includes but is not limited to items that contain mercury and heavy metals and are common household items such as: 

  • Common batteries, fluorescent light tubes or other mercury-containing lamps, thermostats, electric switches and relays
  • Electronic devices such as televisions, computers, cell phones, telephones, and microwave ovens
  • Novelty items such as greeting cards that play music when opened, maze games
  • Aerosol cans that are not empty or labeled toxic or flammable

Electronic Waste                            

Electronic Waste (E-Waste) consists of broken or obsolete electronic products that may contain toxic materials such as lead, barium and mercury, and require special handling.  Examples of E-Waste include:

  • Computers                                                                                                                                                  
  • Televisions
  • VCRs                                                                                                             
  • Stereos
  • Copiers
  • Printers
  • Fax Machines

E-Waste that is still in working condition can often be donated to local schools or reuse organizations such as Goodwill.  For E-Waste recycling options available, visit

Prescription Drugs:   

 Pharmaceutical waste refers to unused or expired prescription and over-the-counter drugs or medications, substances intended to be swallowed, inhaled, injected, applied to the skin or eyes, or otherwise absorbed; veterinary drugs; diagnostic agents; and nutritional supplements.

Do not flush unused, unwanted, and expired medications down the toilet.  Put them in drains or throw them away with the trash.  Always make sure to keep medication out of reach of children and pets.  Unused, unwanted, and expired medications can be taken to a San Diego County Prescription Drug Collection Box Location and turned in anonymously in a secure collection drop-box.

When disposing of medication, make sure to remove all labels with personal information and recycle the containers at home.  Place unneeded pills into plastic container or zip lock bag.

>>Find a San Diego County Prescription Drug Collection Box Location 

Sharps (Needles)

Sharp Waste refers to used hypodermic needles, pen needles, intravenous needles, syringes, lancets, and other devices that penetrate the skin.  Previously there was no restriction on how to dispose of sharps. In response to the increasing usage trends (increased cases of diabetes, growing aged population) and health risks posed to children, workers, and the general public, it is now illegal to place home-generated sharps waste in solid waste collection containers, including recycling and green waste containers (SB 1305 revision of a section of the State's Medical Waste Management Act).

 Place used sharps in containers to be used for storing and transporting.  Containers should be rigid, puncture resistant, have a lid, and labeled as "Sharps."  Examples include, but are not limited to: Red containers designated for sharps waste, coffee cans with lids (hard plastic or metal), bleach/detergent bottles, milk jugs, and hard plastic condiment containers (or other container approved by the department or local enforcement agency).  Take the container to the South Bay Regional Household Hazardous Waste Facility.  See:  City of Chula Vista Household Hazardous Waste Information



It is dangerous and illegal to discard any type of Household Hazardous Waste into the trash, a storm drain, or down the sewer drain.   Instead use up the product as intended or take the unused portion to the South Bay Household Hazardous Waste collection facility.  For more information go to www.wastefreesd.orgor

For additional information please call 1-619-691-5122 or visit:

City of Chula Vista Household Hazardous Waste Information

Facility location: 1800 Maxwell Road, Chula Vista
Facility Hours: Wednesday and Saturday 9 AM – 1 PM, Except for holiday weekends
Limits: 15 gallons or 125 Lbs. of waste per household with a $5 co-payment

The Cities of National City, Chula Vista, and Imperial Beach are committed to work for Zero Waste.