Important Update:


COVID-19       Update Click here for links to the latest information.


Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG) Control Program

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG) Control Program

 Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG)

Sanitary sewer overflows are often caused by improper disposal of cooking oil and grease to the sanitary sewer system. When fats, oils, and grease (FOG) are washed into the system, it collects inside of pipes, causing blockages and potentially overflows. The City of National City works with businesses and residences to reduce the amount of FOG that enters into the sanitary sewer system.

Routine sewer lateral maintenance helps to prevent FOG build-up and keep drains functioning for food service establishments and residences. Read the Sewer Lateral Handout for more information on what a sewer lateral is and how to maintain it.

For Restaurants and Other Grease Producing Facilities:

  • FOG inspections are performed at food service establishments throughout the City in accordance with Municipal Code Sections 14.06 and 14.16.
  • Food service establishments are required to comply with the City's FOG Best Managment Practices.

Additional Resources:

 For Residences:

Household waste from food scraps, dairy products, cooking oil, and baking goods often makes its way into the sanitary system through your kitchen sink. To prevent blockages and sewer overflows:

  • Allow excess grease to harden and then dispose of it in the garbage, not down the drain. Garbage disposals do not prevent FOG from entering the sanitary sewer system.
  • Scrape and wipe all pots, pans, and dishes into the trash before cleaning in the sink or putting in the dishwasher. 
  • Read and follow the additional information and guidelines in the Residential FOG Handout.

 You can now bring your used cooking oil to an EDCO buyback location or to the South Bay Household Hazardous Waste collection facility for disposal: See website for facility hours of operation.

EDCO Buyback Locations

South Bay Household Hazardous

Waste Collection Facility

8184 Commercial St

La Mesa, CA   

1800 Maxwell Rd

Chula Vista, CA

6700 Federal Blvd

Lemon Grove, CA

To report a sanitary sewer spill or overflow, call the City of National City Storm Water Hotline at (619) 336-4389.