Due to the COVID-19 crisis, effective March 18, 2020 City Hall is closed for public walk-in access until further notice.
The Engineering Division is accepting engineering plans via email. Plans must be in PDF format and can not exceed 10 MB in size. Please submit your plans to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please bear with us as we work to further improve our electronic plan submittal process.
Engineering inspections can still be scheduled by calling (619) 336-4380.
The health and well-being of National City residents, visitors, and employees during the COVID-19 outbreak remains our top priority. The City of National City is coordinating with the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency/Public Health Services Department and other agencies to take measures to monitor and reduce the spread of COVID-19. The World Health Organization has declared the outbreak a global pandemic.
Be aware that this protocol is subject to change as more information is received and new regulations are implemented.
The City of National City would like to thank everyone for their cooperation. For questions, please contact the Engineering Division at (619) 336-4380 or e-mail us at email@example.com.
Public Works Division:
The City of National City Public Works Division is committed to serving the public by prioritizing the safety and well-being of our community during the current COVID-19 pandemic.
PW Parks crews are taking preventative measures by temporarily closing park restrooms, playgrounds and active recreation areas such as athletic fields, tennis courts, basketball courts, skate park, and fitness equipment areas, while continuing to monitor for public gatherings. Per the Governor’s order, parking lots to all City parks have been closed to the public with barricades.
PW Street and Wastewater crews are working hard to maintain our infrastructure and keep are streets and sidewalks safe. Crews continue to repair pot holes, lifted sidewalks, street lights and traffic signals, provide street sweeping services, perform weed abatement, pick-up trash and large debris, clear storm drains and channels in preparation for storm events, provide traffic control during and after storm events where flooding occurs, maintain sewer lines, and respond to emergency calls for service.
The City of National City would like to thank everyone for their cooperation. For questions, please contact the Public Works Division at (619) 336-4580 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Engineering & Public Works
1243 National City Boulevard
National City, CA. 91950-4301
Engineering Phone: (619) 336-4380
Public Works Phone: (619) 336-4580
Fax: (619) 336-4397
The Department of Engineering & Public Works oversees the following core activities on behalf of the City of National City: 1) planning, design, engineering, construction and management of capital projects; 2) maintenance of City-owned facilities, parks, streets and other physical infrastructure; and 3) environmental compliance.
- Coordinates with environmental regulatory agencies, residents, local businesses, and other City departments to implement and enforce programs and best management practices (BMPs) to protect the environment;
- Oversees compliance, inspections and reporting requirements related to storm water pollution prevention; air pollution controls; wastewater discharges; Fats, Oils and Grease (FOG) Program for local businesses; and hazardous materials (HAZMAT);
- Regulates and enforces Clean Water Act standards as prescribed by the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program, which controls water pollution by regulating point sources that discharge pollutants into water bodies. Examples include, 1) inspection and educational programs for local businesses, 2) preparation and enforcement of National City’s Jurisdictional Urban Runoff Management Plan (JURMP) used to reduce the discharge of pollutants to water bodies (to the maximum extent practicable), and 3) preparation and enforcement of National City’s Standard Urban Storm Water Mitigation Plan (SUSMP) designed to reduce pollutants and runoff flows from new development and redevelopment projects.
Capital Improvement Program (CIP):
- Manages National City’s CIP, which represents a “sliding” five-year budgeting process for establishing the City’s capital priorities and financing plan. The CIP addresses the repair, replacement and expansion of the City's physical infrastructure system including streets, sewers, storm drains, lighting, buildings, parks and site infrastructure for infill development projects;
- Oversees planning, design, engineering, construction and management for National City’s capital projects, including implementation of National City’s Pavement Management Program, Circulation Element to the General Plan, Bicycle Master Plan, and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Transition Plan;
- Prepares grant applications to obtain funding for capital projects.
- Manages traffic signal timing and operations;
- Provides data collection and analysis related to traffic safety and operations, including sight distance evaluations, speed surveys and counter measures, traffic control warrants, parking surveys and evaluation of traffic calming measures;
- Prepares reports for the Traffic Safety Committee, a panel of five volunteers from the Community appointed by City Council, whose primary function is to review and make recommendations on matters related to driver, bicycle and pedestrian safety.
Engineering Permits & Inspections:
- Reviews plan and permit applications, and provides inspections for grading, utilities, traffic control, construction of retaining walls, driveways, sidewalks, curb and gutter, pedestrian curb ramps and storm water BMPs;
- Reviews subdivision maps, requests for lot line adjustments, easements and deeds, and prepares encroachment permits and agreements for legal review.
- Manages engineering records and files such as engineering permits, utility permits, engineering plans and as-builts, grading certifications, sewer maps, right of way maps and flood plain documents;
- Provides records and maps to the public upon request.
Public Works Division
- Responsible for maintenance and repair of street infrastructure, including patching potholes, minor sidewalk repairs, street light and traffic signal maintenance, traffic signage and striping (such as crosswalks, pavement legends and curb markings), street sweeping and traffic control;
- Manages refuse and recycling programs.
- Responsible for maintenance of sewer mains and laterals, including flushing, rotting, repairs, raising manholes and CCTV inspections; maintenance of pump stations, storm drains and catch basins; and responding to citizen concerns regarding sewer issues;
- Manages sewer service database by parcel number and administers process for collection of sewer service charges on the tax rolls.
- Provides inspections; preventative maintenance and repairs for National City’s fleet, which consists of over 200 vehicles and heavy equipment used to support all City departments in delivering municipal services to residents, local businesses and visitors;
- Coordinates with other City departments to assess vehicle and equipment needs, and provides specifications, cost estimates and recommendations for repair, replacement and/or modernization.
- Responsible for the repair; maintenance and operation of City-owned facilities;
- Reviews applications for facility use permits and provides access, set-up and cleanup services upon request.
- Responsible for maintenance of Community parks and roadway medians, tree trimming and landscape maintenance around City-owned facilities;
- Reviews applications for park air jump permits and field use permits for Community parks and athletic fields.