Welcome to the Engineering/Public Works Department
1243 National City Boulevard
National City, CA. 91950-4301
Engineering Phone: (619) 336-4380
Public Works Phone: (619) 336-4580
Fax: (619) 336-4397
The Department of Engineering & Public Works oversees the following core activities on behalf of the City of National City: 1) planning, design, engineering, construction and management of capital projects; 2) maintenance of City-owned facilities, parks, streets and other physical infrastructure; and 3) environmental compliance.
- Coordinates with environmental regulatory agencies, residents, local businesses, and other City departments to implement and enforce programs and best management practices (BMPs) to protect the environment;
- Oversees compliance, inspections and reporting requirements related to storm water pollution prevention; air pollution controls; wastewater discharges; Fats, Oils and Grease (FOG) Program for local businesses; and hazardous materials (HAZMAT);
- Regulates and enforces Clean Water Act standards as prescribed by the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program, which controls water pollution by regulating point sources that discharge pollutants into water bodies. Examples include, 1) inspection and educational programs for local businesses, 2) preparation and enforcement of National City’s Jurisdictional Urban Runoff Management Plan (JURMP) used to reduce the discharge of pollutants to water bodies (to the maximum extent practicable), and 3) preparation and enforcement of National City’s Standard Urban Storm Water Mitigation Plan (SUSMP) designed to reduce pollutants and runoff flows from new development and redevelopment projects.
Capital Improvement Program (CIP):
- Manages National City’s CIP, which represents a “sliding” five-year budgeting process for establishing the City’s capital priorities and financing plan. The CIP addresses the repair, replacement and expansion of the City's physical infrastructure system including streets, sewers, storm drains, lighting, buildings, parks and site infrastructure for infill development projects;
- Oversees planning, design, engineering, construction and management for National City’s capital projects, including implementation of National City’s Pavement Management Program, Circulation Element to the General Plan, Bicycle Master Plan, and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Transition Plan;
- Prepares grant applications to obtain funding for capital projects.
- Manages traffic signal timing and operations;
- Provides data collection and analysis related to traffic safety and operations, including sight distance evaluations, speed surveys and counter measures, traffic control warrants, parking surveys and evaluation of traffic calming measures;
- Prepares reports for the Traffic Safety Committee, a panel of five volunteers from the Community appointed by City Council, whose primary function is to review and make recommendations on matters related to driver, bicycle and pedestrian safety.
Engineering Permits & Inspections:
- Reviews plan and permit applications, and provides inspections for grading, utilities, traffic control, construction of retaining walls, driveways, sidewalks, curb and gutter, pedestrian curb ramps and storm water BMPs;
- Reviews subdivision maps, requests for lot line adjustments, easements and deeds, and prepares encroachment permits and agreements for legal review.
- Manages engineering records and files such as engineering permits, utility permits, engineering plans and as-builts, grading certifications, sewer maps, right of way maps and flood plain documents;
- Provides records and maps to the public upon request.
Public Works Division
- Responsible for maintenance and repair of street infrastructure, including patching potholes, minor sidewalk repairs, street light and traffic signal maintenance, traffic signage and striping (such as crosswalks, pavement legends and curb markings), street sweeping and traffic control;
- Manages refuse and recycling programs.
- Responsible for maintenance of sewer mains and laterals, including flushing, rotting, repairs, raising manholes and CCTV inspections; maintenance of pump stations, storm drains and catch basins; and responding to citizen concerns regarding sewer issues;
- Manages sewer service database by parcel number and administers process for collection of sewer service charges on the tax rolls.
- Provides inspections; preventative maintenance and repairs for National City’s fleet, which consists of over 200 vehicles and heavy equipment used to support all City departments in delivering municipal services to residents, local businesses and visitors;
- Coordinates with other City departments to assess vehicle and equipment needs, and provides specifications, cost estimates and recommendations for repair, replacement and/or modernization.
- Responsible for the repair; maintenance and operation of City-owned facilities;
- Reviews applications for facility use permits and provides access, set-up and cleanup services upon request.
- Responsible for maintenance of Community parks and roadway medians, tree trimming and landscape maintenance around City-owned facilities;
- Reviews applications for park air jump permits and field use permits for Community parks and athletic fields.