The Building Division is now accepting building plans via email. Plans must be in PDF format and can not exceed 10 MB in size. Please submit your plans to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please bear with us as we work to further improve our electronic plan submittal process.
The health and well-being of National City residents, visitors, and employees during the COVID-19 outbreak remains our top priority. The City of National City is coordinating with the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency/Public Health Services Department and other agencies to take measures to monitor and reduce the spread of COVID-19. The World Health Organization has declared the outbreak a global pandemic. Due to the COVID-19 crisis, effective March 18, 2020 City Hall is currently not available for public walk in access until further notice. The following temporary protocol is now implemented for the Building & Safety Division regarding permits and inspections. Be aware that this protocol is subject to change as more information is received and new regulations are implemented. The following is a list of new permits and inspections that the Building & Safety Division will be able to issue and perform. The list also includes inspections that will be performed for projects where a permits has already been issued. No intake of plans or re-submittals of plans would be available until procedures are in place to receive them electronically and our third party plan reviewers have confirmed they can perform the service. The City of National City would like to thank everyone for their cooperation. If anyone has questions please contact the Building & Safety Division at 619-336-4210 or e-mail us at email@example.com.
- Water heater permits and inspections
- Wall heaters/FAU’s permits and inspections
- Gas repairs-Gas lock-outs permits and inspections
- Electrical repairs, electrical meter upgrade permit and inspections
- Roofing/reroofing permit and inspections
- Windows inspections only where permit has already been issued
- Foundation inspections only where a permit has already been issued
- Framing inspections only where a permit has already been issued, exterior only or non-occupied building
- Rough Mechanical, Electrical & Plumbing inspections only where a permit has already been issued, exterior only or non-occupied building
- Lath, stucco & plaster only where a permit has already been issued, exterior only or non-occupied building
- Sheer panel only where a permit has already been issued, exterior only or non-occupied building
- Sign installations only where a permit has already been issued, exterior only or non-occupied building
- Solar installations only where a permit has already been issued
- Demolition permits only where a permit has already been issued, exterior only or non-occupied building, unless it is a life & safety concern
- Insulation only where a permit has already been issued, exterior only or non-occupied building
Building Department Counter Service Hours (due to COVID-19 City Hall is currently closed to the public).
Monday – Thursday: 7:00 am – 5:00 pm
Friday: City Offices Closed
1243 National City Boulevard
National City, CA. 91950-4301
To schedule an inspection, please call the Building Inspection Line :
Building Department: (619) 336-4210
The Building Department protects the public’s health and safety by reviewing each building project for conformance with the requirements of adopted codes and by providing applicants with comprehensive direction on needed plan modifications. The Division also performs periodic inspections of all building projects to confirm construction is in accordance with approved plans and applicable codes and standards.
Building Department Fees (PDF)
Development Impact Fees (PDF)
The City Council approved a new User Fee Schedule on October 2, 2018 and a Revised Fee Schedule on May 21, 2019.
Revised fees are effective on July 31, 2019.
To view the new Building, Engineering, and Planning dept. fees click here (pdf).
CALL BEFORE YOU DIG! - www.digalert.org
The City of National City uses the 2016 California Building, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, Energy, Fire, Residential and Green Codes.