About the Traffic Safety Committee
The Traffic Safety Committee reviews and makes recommendations on matters related to vehicular and pedestrian safety within the City of National City. As directed by the City Council, the Traffic Safety Committee conducts investigations and reports on safety issues requested by appropriate public agencies and responsible private citizens / private organizations. Examples of traffic safety items include:
- Establishment/removal of time-restricted parking zones
- Establishment/removal of red curb “no parking”
- Establishment/removal of loading zones
- Establishment/removal of angle parking
- Establishment/removal of handicapped parking
- Establishment of/changes to residential permit parking districts
Speeding Issues and Speed Enforcement
Sight Distance Issues
School Safety Issues
Traffic Control Requests
- Installation/removal of traffic control devices such as warning signs, beacons, stop signs, yield signs and traffic signals
- Installation/removal of pavement striping and crosswalks
The five members of the Traffic Safety Committee are appointed by the City Council. The City’s Traffic Engineer currently serves as Secretary to the Committee and is a non-voting, advisory member.
Public meetings of the Traffic Safety Committee are held on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 1:00 p.m. at City Hall – 1243 National City Boulevard, 2nd floor main conference room. For modifications to the schedule, please refer to City Public Notice Boards and/or the City of National City's website Calendar.