The Kile Morgan Local History Room houses the Library’s collection of National City history materials. This unique collection, rich in primary sources, supports the room’s mission to preserve the heritage of past and present accomplishments in National City for both residents and researchers. Many items are gifts to the Library and citizens are invited to donate National City papers, photographs or other items for preservation in the Library at 1401 National City Boulevard.
The room is on the second floor. Service is available by appointment only. For research requests, please contact the Reference Desk at telephone number (619) 470-5830.
Check out the locally published book on National City history: Early National City, by Matthew Nye and
About the Authors
Matthew Nye and Marilyn Carnes have both kindled their love of National City history while working in the Morgan Local History Room here at the National City Public Library. Mrs. Carnes has lived in National City for over 30 years while restoring her Victorian home. The vintage photographs they have gathered are largely from our collection here at the National City Public Library.
- Kimball Family Papers 1854-1934 - Diaries and letter books chronicle lives, events and contributions in National City, in California and in New England.
- Kile Morgan Papers
- Reopelle Music Collection
- Clayton Bullen Papers
- James Catanzarite History of the Fire Department 1887-1972
- Coons Collection
- Deeds, Mortgages 1871-1940
- Mary Maddox Grandell Papers (William G. Dickinson Family)
- Harbison/Floyd Family Collection
- Shirley Lindemann Collection
- Maytime Band Review
- Old Town National City Reunion
- Irene Phillips Collection
- Donald Evans Smith Collection
- Approximately 4500 items
- Kimball Family
- Grandell/Dickinson Family
- Lafoon Collection
- Wyckoff Collection (including glass plate negatives)
- Approximately 4500 items
Maps and Blueprints
- National City maps 1868-2000
- San Diego maps 1853-2004
- U.S.G.S. National City and southern California
- Sweetwater Authority (water) blueprints
- National City government buildings blueprints
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps/National City 1887-1927 (microfilm)
- San Diego County and City Directories 1889-1984
- National City Chamber of Commerce Directories
- Organizations Member Directories
- National City High School 1910-1920
- Sweetwater Union High School 1921-present
- National City Junior High School 1954-1991
- National City Middle School 1992-present
- Granger Junior High School some
- San Diego Academy 1998-2001
- San Miguel School 1955-1960
- Newspaper Clippings, Brochures etc.
- Tapes mostly recorded during the National City Centennial 1968, some transcribed.
- Focus is National City and California, mostly southern California
- California Digital Newspaper Collection
- National City Record/News/Star News 1882-1987
- California Patron 1876-1882, 1885.
- Otay Press 1888-1890 (not complete years)
- Butterfield Express 1962-1965
- Neighbors (National City, Chula Vista, Paradise Hills) 1991-1994
- Miscellaneous newspapers issues
- City of National City 1950-1975
- Chamber of Commerce
- Clubs and Organizations
- Boys and Girls Clubs
- National City Record 1882-1902
- National City News 1903-1955
- National City Star-News 1956-1995
- Star News 1996-present
- Kimball Papers 1854-1934 – link
- Stars & Stripes Feb 8, 1918-June 13, 1919
- City of National City Ordinances 1887-1953+
- City of National City Minutes of the Board of Trustees 1887-1906+
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps National City 1887-1927
- California State Library. Sutro Branch. Local history and genealogy
- shelf list. 1973.
Artifacts & Art
- A number of paintings, furnishings and miscellaneous items connected with National City history complement this rich collection.