Housing and Economic Development Service Hours
Monday – Thursday: 7:00 am – 6:00 pm
Friday: City Offices Closed
Welcome to the home page of the City’s Housing & Economic Development Department. Our office is located at the Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center.
The Housing & Economic Development Department works to process grants, improve housing conditions and economic prosperity for the citizens of the City of National City.
Community development programs are implemented through the administration of the Federal Section 8 Rental Assistance Program, HOME Investment Partnerships Program, and the Community Development Block Grant Program. The City of National City also utilizes 20 percent of the Redevelopment Agency's annual tax increment to facilitate the creation and preservation of affordable housing units. Other local funding resources are utilized to assist in the preservation and maintenance of safe and decent rental property.
The following projects and programs will expand affordable housing opportunities to very low, low, and moderate-income families as well as provide affordable and accessible housing for special needs populations including larger families, seniors and people with disabilities throughout the City.
- Develop a Citywide First-Time Homebuyer Program and provide affordable ownership housing opportunities.
- Develop a Citywide Residential Rehabilitation Program and provide opportunities to preserve our housing stock.
- Implement focus neighborhood acquisition strategy to acquire and rehabilitate affordable rental housing.
- Continue to develop new senior and family housing developments.
- Effectively administer the Federal Section 8 Rental Assistance Program and provide affordable housing opportunities for renters.
For information on the City's Section 8 Program click here.
Housing & Economic Development Department
MLK Jr. Community Center
140 E. 12th Street, National City, CA 91950
Telephone Number: (619) 336-4254
Fax Number: (619) 477-3747