- Date: -
Return to full list >>
- During this phase of construction, a portion of southbound Interstate 5 (I-5) will be realigned and expanded into the Mexico El Chaparral Port of Entry
- Construction work on southbound I-5 begins mid-September 2017
- Realignment will be completed in the summer of 2019
- This phase expands the number of southbound vehicle inspection lanes from five to 10 within the Port, and from 10 to 19 at the El Chaparral border crossing
- Improves the roadway alignment for vehicles entering Mexico
- An additional eight 8 northbound vehicle inspection lanes with 15 additional inspection booths are also being constructed
- All pedestrian facilities will remain open during construction
- Public transit services (bus and trolley) will operate on a normal weekend schedule during the September shutdown
- Southbound border crossers can ride public transit (bus and trolley) to access San Ysidro Port of Entry via the UC San Diego Blue Line or Route 906/907, or Otay Mesa via Routes 905 and 950 (from Iris Ave. Transit Center).
- For more information on public transportation options, visit the San Diego MTS website.